Required: CLERK TO GOVERNORS of FIR ENDS SCHOOL
Job reference: FEClerk2021
Role Profile: BS5
Pay Scale: a pro-rata salary of £19,698
(an hourly equivalent of £10.21)
Ref. Cumbria County Council BS5.
Hours of work: Approx. 100 hours annually to organise and attend meetings in order to produce minutes and offer guidance, in line with the needs of the Governing Body.
Work Location: This role will involve some home working in addition to attendance at meetings held at Fir Ends School and some onsite document management as appropriate.
Start date: As soon as possible
A Clerk to the Governors is required to manage the administrative and legislative work of the Governing Body of Fir Ends School.
The Clerk is accountable to the Chair of Governors and employed by the Governing Body.
The role within our school has been calculated to require approx. 100 hours annually, composed of:
- 5 x 8 hours* for Full Governing Body meetings (40 hours)
- 1 x 8 hours for an annual Strategy Meeting (8 hours)
- Around seventeen hours of time associated with other FGB business such as distributing emails, reviewing statutory documents (17 hours)
- Up to 35 hours for additional work (e.g appeal panels) and professional development. (35 hours)
*approx 2-3 hours in meeting + 5-6 hours prep, minute completion and filing for each.
FGB Meetings typically take place at six to eight week intervals, falling close to the start of each half term. All meetings aim to run from 17:00 to 19:30.
At present, all meetings are being held online due to Covid restrictions, but it is anticipated that some or all meetings will be held onsite again in future.
The included Job Description has been recommended by the National Governance Association.
A summary of the specific skills and experience required for the role of the Clerk to the Governors are included in the Person Specification below and Cumbria role profile for BS5 has been provided for reference as a best fit with the role.
Further details about the role are available in the application pack.
The post will be paid on a monthly timesheet basis, in arrears.
The closing date for applications is Thursday April 1st 2021, and online interviews are planned to be held in week commencing Monday 26th April 2021, following the receipt of references.
Completed applications should be returned via post to the school, for the attention of Chair of Governors, or via email to email@example.com. If returning via email, please rename each document with applicant name at the start (e.g. Jane Doe - Application form).
To comply with safeguarding procedures and policies, all application forms should be completed in full and include the statement of self disclosure in a sealed envelope, marked ‘Confidential’, which will be opened in the event that you are shortlisted for interview.
SAFEGUARDING STATEMENT: Fir Ends School is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and young people and expects all its staff and volunteers to share this commitment. All posts are subject to a satisfactory enhanced DBS disclosure.
The application pack contains the following documents:
- Detailed Role information and job profile (DOC A)
- Cumbria BS5 role profile (DOC B)
- Guidance notes for completing the application form
- Cumbria County Council Application form (DOC C)
- Safeguarding Statement of Self Disclosure (DOC D)
APPLICATION PACK - FE CLERK 2021 (ZIP FILE)
- Letter to applicants, including role overview (Word doc)
- BS5 role profile
- Application form guidance (word doc)
- Application Form (pdf)
- Self disclosure of criminal convictions form (word doc)